Contrary to what many fad diets may imply, there is no magic solution for weight loss. It is a matter of simple mathematics. To lose weight, you need to consume fewer calories than you burn. There are, however, foods that will help keep you full for longer, satisfy your sweet tooth or need to snack on the go, and boost your metabolism.
6 Superfoods for Weight Loss
1. Oats - Oats are packed with fibre, which will keep you feeling full for longer since it is digested slowly. A bowl of oatmeal for breakfast is a great way to start off the day. Oats also contain a high quantity of resistant starch, which has been shown to increase metabolism and burn fat.
2. Whole Apples - The crunchy skin of an apple is low in calories but packed full of fiber, creating a feeling of satiety. Chewing also sends the message to the brain that you have consumed something substantial. Avoid apple juice and applesauce.
3. Beans - Because of the high fibre content, beans are filling. They also offer a great source of protein without the saturated fat found in other protein sources, such as red meat.
4. Broccoli - High in fibre and low in calories, broccoli is an ideal food for weight loss.
5. Nuts - Nuts are high in healthy fats and provide an excellent alternative to carb-heavy snacks when consumed in moderation. Studies have even shown that people who snack on nuts actually eat less at subsequent meals.
6. Dark Chocolate - Dark chocolate contains monounsaturated fats, which boost metabolism. For dieters with a sweet tooth, dark chocolate is a great way to satisfy a craving for sweets, thereby keeping you away from unhealthy, sugary desserts.