Turmeric + Cauliflower = Delicious!
Healthy eating is becoming more and more popular – finally it’s cool to be seen eating vegetables! One vegetable we love here at Australian NaturalCare is cauliflower. It’s a humble ingredient and can be used in so many ways. Another ingredient we love is turmeric (yes, we can hear you agreeing with us).
This recipe combines cauliflower and turmeric in an easy-to-create, versatile dish that can be added to almost any meal, and can even shine as a meal in its own right with a few well-chosen inclusions.
Turmeric Cauliflower Rice
Makes: approximate 4 servings
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 Tbs turmeric
- ½ tsp black pepper, extra to serve.
- 1 tbs olive oil, butter or ghee
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 1 c frozen peas
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp ghee or butter (optional)
- Coriander to garnish
- Chop cauliflower into 2-3cm florets.
- Grate cauliflower into rice sized pieces. Alternatively, blitz florets in a food processor until cauliflower turns into a rice-like texture.
- In a medium sauce pan, cook garlic, turmeric and pepper in olive oil until aromatic. Add riced cauliflower, peas, and water.
- Steam on medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes or until steaming hot. Stir cauliflower 1-2 times while steaming.
- Once cooked, drain excess water and stir through with ghee or butter. You can leave this out if you wish.
Garnish with black pepper and coriander, and serve as side to any meal.
- It is perfect as a base for marinated chicken or salmon.
- Add in some corn, zucchini, bacon and cooked, diced chicken and serve on a bed of spinach leaves for a new twist on traditional fried rice. Tofu works in place of the chicken for our vegetarian friends, remove the bacon as well and add in as many vegetables you have in the kitchen.
- For a breakfast change, serve rice with an egg (poached, fried, scrambled) on top.
- Made too much to eat in one go? No problem. Store portions in the freezer to pull out at a later date.