Supplements for Men to Improve Stamina, Libido and Vitality
Author: Vanessa Gagliardi Date Posted:20 August 2019
As we get older, we tend to notice a downward trend in relation to our energy, vitality, stamina, and maybe even our sex lives. Stress, poor sleep quality and diet choices can impact each of these areas (and let’s be real, it can be hard to balance all of these at once).
Luckily, herbal medicines and nutrient supplementation can play a helpful role in supporting men’s stamina, libido and vitality. Traditional and modern research shows many benefits of herbs on men’s health, from boosting libido to supporting a healthy stress response and more!
Supporting Healthy Testosterone Levels
Herbal medicines like Fenugreek and Ashwaganda have been trialled and researched for their effects on men’s testosterone levels. If you didn’t already know, testosterone is one of the male hormones responsible for feeling energetic and maintaining muscle mass!
Testofen® is a unique fenugreek extract included in of 2 of our men’s health supplements (Testofen and Horny Goat Weed®, PerformX®). A randomized, double-blind placebo controlled trial performed over 8 weeks on 60 healthy male subjects undergoing resistance training and taking 600mg Testofen® daily reported:
- Free testosterone levels increased by 99% compared to baseline measurements, compared to the placebo group who showed no statistically significant change
- Body fat was reduced in Testofen® group
- Muscle mass was maintained even with a loss of body fat
Similarly to Testofen®, Ashwaganda may also increase testosterone levels and support muscle mass.
An 8 week, randomized controlled trial on 57 men aged 18-50 taking 600mg Ashwaganda root daily showed:
- An increase in free testosterone levels
- An increase in muscle mass
Supporting Healthy Libido and Sexual Function
There are so many benefits of having sex – it can be immune boosting, stress and pain relieving, it can promote a good mood, and more! Herbal medicines can support a healthy libido and sexual function, keeping the flame alive in your sex life!
Horny Goat Weed is a traditional Chinese medicinal herb, known for its benefits on male libido and erectile function. It may be helpful in increasing sexual activity and sexual drive, increasing sperm production and stimulating sensory nerves.
Korean ginseng has also been used traditionally for stimulating sexual function in men of all ages. It possesses strong antioxidant activity which is linked with improved erectile function.
Maintaining Healthy Sperm
Are you and your partner thinking of having a baby? Herbs can support healthy sperm quality and motility!
Not only can Ashwaganda help with testosterone levels, but also supports sperm health. A placebo-controlled trial performed on 68 males given 225mg Ashwaganda root 3 times daily showed:
- Increased sperm concentration
- Higher levels of serum testosterone and other reproductive hormones
- Improved sperm motility
Korean ginseng can also improve sperm quality. A 12 week randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind clinical study was performed on 80 male patients, given 1.5g of Korean ginseng daily. The results showed improved sperm concentration, motility, morphology and viability.
Supporting cognitive and nervous system function
Being able to feel energised, less stressed and have great concentration all at the same time almost seems impossible, doesn’t it? The use of herbal medicines and nutritional supplementation can support the nervous system as well as improving memory – keep reading!
Ashwaganda can be helpful in supporting a healthy stress response. A study on 60 males given 5g of Ashwaganda root daily resulted in a decrease in stress levels, which had follow-on effects of increased antioxidant status and improved sperm quality!
Korean ginseng provides stimulatory effects on the nervous system, which can help to increase energy levels, and improve concentration and attention.
The above herbs can be found in products such as Testofen™ & Horny Goat Weed, which is ideal if your primary aim is to maintain healthy sexual function. If you’re looking for more something a little more comprehensive, then something like PerfomX may be the better choice, with added Ashwagandha, magnesium and B6 for their benefits on the nervous system and stress response. A randomized, single-blind clinical trial was conducted for 8 weeks on 264 adults who were given 300mg of magnesium and 30mg of vitamin B6. The results showed an improvement in stress level scores!
Please seek advice from your doctor if you are concerned about your reproductive health or hormone levels and/or if you are on any prescription medication prior to taking any supplements.
- Ambiye, V.., Dongre, S., Aptikar, P., Kulkarni, M., Daithankar, P. (2013), Clinical Evaluation of the Spermatogenic Activity of the Root Extract of Ashwaganda (Withania somnifera) in Oligospermic Males, Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, DOI: 10.1155/2013/571420
- Ali Mahdi, A., Shukla, K.K., Ahmad, M.K., Rajender, S., Shankhwar, S.N., Singh, V., Dalela, D. (2009), Withania somnifera Improves Semen Quality in Stress-Related Male Fertility, Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, DOI: 10.1093/ecam/nep138
- Banihani, S.A. (2017), A Systematic Review Evaluting the Effect of Vitamin B6 on Semen Quality, Urology Journal, DOI: 10.22037/uj.v0i0.3808
- Bensky, D., Gamble, A. (1993), Herba Epimedii, Chinese Herbal Medicine Materia Medica 2nd Ed, Eastland Press, Washington.
- Chandrasekhar, K., Kapoor, J., Anishetty, S. (2012), A Prospective, Randomized Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study of Safety and Efficacy of a High-Concentration Full-Spectrum Extract of Ashwaganda Root in Reducing Stress and Anxiety in Adults, Indian Journal of Psychological Medicine
- de Andrade, E., de Mesquita, A.A., Claro, J.A., de Andrade, P., Ortiz, V., Paranhos, M., Srougi, M. (2007), Study of the efficacy of Korean Red Ginseng in the treatment of erectile dysfunction, DOI: 10.1111/j.1745-7262.2007.00210.x
- Hechtman, L. (2012), Clinical Naturopathic Medicine, Churchill Livingstone, Elsevier Australia.
- Park, H.J., Choe, S., Park, N.C. (2016), Effects of Korean Red Ginseng on Semen Parameters in Male Infertility Patients: A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Double-Blind Clinical Study, Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine (7):490-455
- Rao, A., Steels, E., Inder, W.J., Abraham, S., Vitetta, L. (2016), Testofen, a specialised Trigonella foenum-graecum seed extract reduces agerelated symptoms of androgen decrease, increases testosterone levels and improves sexual function in healthy aging males in a double-blind randomised clinical study, The Aging Male, DOI: 10.3109/13685538.2015.1135323
- Wankhede, S., Langade, D., Joshi, K., Sinha, S., Bhattacharyya, S. (2015), Examining the effect of Withania somnifera supplementation on muscle strength and recovery: a randomized controlled trial, Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition (12:43), DOI: 10.1186/s12970-015-0104-9.
|Written by Vanessa Gagliardi|
Vanessa (BHSc Naturopathy) is a qualified naturopath with a passion for good food. She uses nutrition and herbal medicine to help people feel their best, from the inside out.
Vanessa enjoys nature walks and Pilates, and loves a good almond mocha.