Scones With Strawberry Chia Jam (Dairy free, vegan)
Author: Jillian Foster Date Posted:28 May 2019
Scones (Dairy free, vegan)
300g oat flour
150g plain flour (gluten free flour can be used)
1 tsp. bicarb
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
200ml almond milk
200ml maple syrup
50g coconut oil, melted. Plus extra for lining the muffin tray.
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Oil a 12-hole muffin tray with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, bicarb and spices. Once combined, add the maple syrup, coconut oil and almond milk and mix until a batter has formed.
- Pour the mixture into the muffin pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden (a knife inserted in the centre should come out clean, if not place back into the oven for 5 more minutes).
- Once cooked, leave the scones to cool for at least 10 minutes in their tin to firm up, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling or serve warm
- Serve with a big dollop of coconut yogurt and chia jam (see recipe below).
Strawberry Chia Jam
2 cups strawberries, destemmed & halved (you can substitute for other fruit if preferred)
¼ cup maple syrup or honey
2 tbsp chia seeds
water as needed
- Place strawberries, chia seeds and maple syrup in a blender and blend on medium to high until jam is at your preferred consistency. Add water 1 tbsp at a time if the mixture is not blending easily.
- Pour contents of blender into a small saucepan and heat over a medium heat until the jam begins to bubble.
- Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 5-7 minutes until the jam starts to thicken.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a sterilised jar immediately. Allow to cool completely before storing in the fridge. Use within a week.
|Written by Jillian Foster|
Jillian (BHSc Naturopathy) is a qualified naturopath who believes through a healthy and balanced diet and lifestyle, we have the power to influence our health and the health of future generations. With a passion for herbal medicine, Jillian loves helping people find the right solution for their health needs and educating people on how they can lead a healthy and happy life.
Jillian enjoys keeping active with her two young children and baking them delicious and healthy treats.