Nutritious, economical, easy and delicious!
Whether it be Breakfast, Lunch, a Snack or a side at Dinner… a savoury Muffin has all the benefits of being quick, easy, interesting, healthy and super versatile! One of the best things is you can really use it as a base recipe to add in whatever your heart desires, whilst also packing in lots of veg to increase its moisture, texture and flavour – no one will complain about eating vegetables this way.
This version is packed with healthy ingredients including zucchini, sweet potato, and olive oil, as well as being high in protein due to the addition of yoghurt and cheese.
- 2 cups spelt flour.
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt.
- ½ teaspoon black pepper.
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda.
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped Parsley or 1 tsp finely chopped Rosemary.
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten.
- 125mL light olive oil.
- ½ cup Greek Yoghurt (Plain).
- 1 cup cooked sweet potato – mashed.
- 1 large Zucchini – grated and squeezed of excess moisture through a paper towel.
- 100g Feta (Substitute Goats Cheese or grated Tasty Cheese).
- 75g Smoked Ham or Prosciutto - finely sliced.
- Preheat oven to 200C for 20 minutes before baking. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with muffin liners.
- Sift the flours and bicarb soda into a large bowl, and add the herbs and seasonings - that’s the dry ingredients taken care of.
- In a small bowl, mix together the wet ingredients with the exception of the feta (add grated Tasty if using).
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour the wet mixture into the dry, folding until just combined (overmixing the batter can result in a tough mixture so be gentle).
- Spoon batter into the prepared muffin tray and crumble the fetta over the tops.
- Reduce oven temperature to 180C and bake for approximately 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out cleanly after being inserted. Cool in the muffin tin for 10 min before taking them out, and let them cool on a baking rack.
Some additions / replacements:
- Chopped Kalamata Olives.
- Chopped Spinach or Kale.
- Chopped Shallots.
- Sliced, cooked mushrooms.
- Toasted Pumpkin seeds.
- Chopped, cooked Pumpkin.
- Cooked, chopped Bacon.
- Sun dried tomatoes.
Be as creative as you like as - the possibilities are endless!