Everyone knows that it’s important to have a healthy diet in order to feel your best and perform at optimal levels. When you want to boost the quality of your diet you may want to consider adding some Superfoods.
Superfoods are certain nutrient-rich foods with increased nutritional benefits that can help bolster your health.
The following is a list of our Top 15 Superfoods from the everyday to the more extraordinary to consider adding to your diet:
1. Acai - The berries from the Acai Tree, a specific type of palm tree indigenous to the Amazon rainforest. These berries are loaded with antioxidants, amino acids and omega fatty acids. Antioxidants are thought to be able to defend cells against free radical damage.
2. Kiwi Fruit - Naturally high in Vitamin C and Vitamin K, vitamins that promote healthy skin, improved immune system performance and cardiovascular health. Kiwi Fruit is also a great source of fibre, which aids in digestive health.
3. Goji - The Goji Berry comes from a shrub native to China. Goji berries contain an impressive list of essential vitamins and minerals, as well as antioxidants. Goji berries have levels of vitamin C that, per gram, may rival those in oranges. Goji berries also contain calcium, potassium, iron, zinc and selenium. Goji berries are full of fibre and carotenoids which help support eye health.
4. Nuts - Packed with heart-healthy fats, protein, and vitamins and minerals, which makes them a great source for energy. Try activated nuts which have been soaked and then dried to increase their nutrient value.
5. Maca Powder - A root found in Peru that has been consumed for thousands of years. Most commonly found in a powder form, Maca Powder has traditionally been used to improve energy and stamina.
6. Salmon - This fantastic fish is very high in Omega-3 fatty acids, amino acids and protein. Omega-3 Fatty acids help in supporting heart health. Omega-3s are also good for joint health and can improve the appearance of skin and hair.
7. Raw Cacao Powder - Derived from unroasted cacao beans (unlike cocoa), which helps to preserve its nutritional value. Cacao contains not only antioxidants, but is also packed with potassium, and calcium and magnesium, which can aid in bone health.
8. Beans - An easy way to pack protein into your diet! Beans are beneficial to people who might want to omit meat from their diet without sacrificing the body’s protein levels. They are also high in fibre for healthy cholesterol levels and to help maintain bowel health.
9. Chia Seeds - Native to central and southern Mexico and Guatemala. Especially high in Omega-3 fatty acids, they are most well known for helping to reduce food cravings due to their high soluble fibre content.
10. Avocados - Naturally nutrient-dense and contain healthy fats as well as dietary fibre. They contain almost 20 vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients all beneficial to your diet.
11. Virgin Coconut Oil - Although coconut oil is largely a saturated fat, it’s made up of predominantly medium chain triglycerides which are believed to have many applications in healthy foods and skin care, as well as being a great source of energy. Coconut oil also provides cosmetic benefits and can be used as a moisturiser for both skin and hair. Choose virgin or extra virgin coconut oil over refined oils.
12. Low-Fat Yoghurt - Yoghurt not only contains calcium, which is important for healthy bones, but it is also high in probiotic bacteria. Choose yoghurt without added sugars for the maximum benefit to your digestive system.
13. Spirulina - A plant-based supplement that is a natural powerhouse of nutrients. It supplies B, C and E vitamins, betacarotene and the minerals calcium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium and zinc. As a nutritional supplement it also contains a high percentage of protein.
14. Flaxseed - Also known as linseed, Flaxseed is one of the world’s best plant based sources of omega-3s. In addition, it is high in fibre, protein and is rich in antioxidants. The ingredients in Flaxseed may be beneficial for helping maintain heart health.
15. Berries - Various berries including blueberries, cranberries, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries are wonderful for the body due to their high levels of antioxidants per gram as well as the vitamins they contain.