Six Libido Boosters
Author: ANCP Date Posted:3 May 2016
After a long day working or looking after your family, having sex might be the last thing you might feel like doing at bedtime. But a healthy sex life is important to your wellbeing and your relationship, so what can you do to spark things up again?
Herbal medicine can also play a helpful role in supporting your sex life by helping to support your reproductive health, enhance your energy levels and improve your ability to cope with stress. Here are half a dozen herbs that may help to boost your libido.
- Tribulus is a popular herb used to boost libido and enhance sexual function. Animal studies suggest that it may achieve these effects by increasing levels of key sex hormones (including testosterone and DHEA) and by promoting nitric oxide release (which in turns promotes dilation of the blood vessels and improved blood flow); however, these actions have not yet been confirmed in humans. Tribulus may also enhance the production of sex hormones in women, aid physical performance and help to reduce the effects of stress. Its reputed aphrodisiac properties are believed to be due to its content of a compound called protodioscin.
- Horny goat weed helps maintain sexual function In traditional Chinese medicine, horny goat weed has a long history of use as an aphrodisiac, a restorative tonic for the reproductive system, and a treatment for sexual dysfunction. Its effects are attributed to its content of a compound called icariin, which has demonstrated an ability to improve erectile function in animals, but has not yet been widely tested in humans. Research in China suggests that horny goat weed may help maintain healthy sexual function and stimulate the functions of the sensory nerves throughout the body, and in particular in the groin area.
- Korean Ginseng supports sexual performance and stress management Korean ginseng has long been regarded as the most potent energy tonic in traditional Chinese medicine, and is used to enhance physical performance (including sexual performance), raise libido levels and address states of fatigue and low vitality. In several clinical studies involving men with erectile dysfunction, taking Korean ginseng (sometimes at high doses) has been shown to improve the quality and duration of men’s erections . Additionally, Korean ginseng may support sexual health by enhancing physical and mental responses to both short-term and prolonged stress.
- Schizandra enhances physical performance Schizandra has a long history of use in traditional Chinese medicine as is a tonic for the female reproductive system. It may help people of both sexes by enhancing physical and sensory performance and improving resistance to the symptomatic effects of physical and emotional stress.
- Siberian ginseng reduces stress and fatigue Siberian ginseng has been used in traditional Chinese medicine to enhance vitality and energy for over 2000 years. It is also regarded as a traditional aphrodisiac herb, and helps support physical performance – especially during times of stress.
- Ginkgo biloba enhances blood flow Ginkgo promotes dilation of the blood vessels and helps blood flow throughout the body, including to the penis and groin area. Ginkgo also helps regulate the tone and elasticity of blood vessels, making circulation more efficient.