Eat healthily this winter with our vegetarian winter chilli recipe:
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 green capsicum, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 half to 1 tablespoon chilli powder (depending on your spice tolerance!)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Sea salt and black pepper ( to season)
- 800g canned diced tomatoes, including the liquid
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 400ml vegetable stock
- Sautee the chopped onion, capsicums, sweet potatoes and garlic in your choice of oil, butter or ghee, stirring to cook evenly.
- Once the onions start turning translucent, turn the heat down to medium-low. Add the stock, all of the spices and canned ingredients, and stir. Cover and cook for up to two hours, stirring occasionally.
- By the time your chilli is done, the sweet potatoes should be nice and soft and the liquid should have reduced a little, producing that beautiful chilli consistency.
- Serve - garnish with natural yoghurt or sour cream and serve with your choice of rice or bread.
Makes four to six servings.