Lavender and Mint Lemonade
Author: Kaylee Dunbar Date Posted:22 December 2015
Since the weather is heating up, we have a cool, taste bud tantalising, healthy summer drink that you can prepare at home for all of your guests to enjoy this summer.
Refreshing Lavender and Mint Lemonade:
- 8 fresh lemons
- 6 cups of filtered water (or 3 cups filtered water and 3 cups sparkling mineral water if you want some bubbles!).
- 1/2 cup of raw honey (you can add more if you find it too sour).
- 1/4 cup of organic, dried, culinary lavender.
- 1/4 cup of mint leaves, rinsed.
- 16 large ice cubes.
- In a medium sized saucepan, bring half the amount of water (750ml) or the 3 cups of filtered water to the boil and remove it from the heat.
- Add the raw honey, culinary lavender and mint leaves to the saucepan and allow it to steep for approximately 20 minutes.
- Strain this mixture and allow it to cool completely before pouring it into a large pitcher.
- Add remaining amount of filtered water (750ml) or the 3 cups of sparkling mineral water into the pitcher.
- Halve 6 of the lemons and juice in a small mixing bowl, strain this mixture into the pitcher.
- Give the mixture inside the pitcher a good stir to combine all of the ingredients together before placing it into the refrigerator to chill.
- Slice the remaining 2 lemons to be used as a garnish (make sure to remove all of the seeds)
- Add the ice cubes and additional lemon slices to the pitcher when you are ready to serve and enjoy!!
Serves 4 people.
Fun Facts about Lavender & Mint
- Lavender comes from the same plant family as mint called Lamiaceae.
- Lavender plants produce nectar that can be utilised to make high quality honey.
- Traditionally lavender and mint were used as perfume to scent clothes and bed linen during Elizabethan times when bathing was not a common practice.
- The Romans used to believe that eating mint would increase your intelligence!
- Previously royal ambassadors used to carry mint sprigs in their pockets because they believed that the scent of mint prevented one from losing their temper!