Gingerbread Cookie recipe
Author: Kaylee Dunbar Date Posted:27 August 2015
If you are looking for a little treat and want to add a little spice to your life. Try this gorgeous gingerbread cookie recipe!
- 1 1/2 tbsp of ground ginger.
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- ½ tsp of ground cloves.
- 1 tsp of Vanilla bean extract.
- 2 3/4 cups of self-raising flour or flour of your choice.
- 2 tsp of baking soda.
- 1/2 cup of Organic Virgin Coconut Oil.
- 1 egg, preferably free range.
- 1/4 cup of organic raw honey.
- Pre-heat oven to 150·C and line a baking tray with baking paper to prevent the cookies from sticking on the tray.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, ground- ginger, cinnamon and cloves in a medium sized mixing bowl and stir this dry mixture together.
- In a separate bowl combine the wet ingredients - vanilla bean extract, organic virgin coconut oil, egg and the organic raw honey and stir this mixture.
- Slowly add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir together.
- Once mixture is combined, take it out of the mixing bowl and flatten the mixture between two sheets of baking paper. Put this mixture in the fridge for approximately one hour to allow it to become firm. Alternatively if you are in a hurry you may wish to put this mixture in the freezer for approximately twenty minutes.
- Take the mixture out of the fridge or freezer and remove from the baking paper.
- Place this mixture on a cutting board and use your favourite cookie cutters to cut the dough into fun shapes.
- Once the dough is cut into your desired shapes, spread out the cookies on your baking tray and place them in the oven to cook for approximately 30 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown.
- Once the cookies are cooked through take the baking tray out of the oven and allow the cookies to cool for approximately 10 minutes.
If you want to take your gingerbread cookies next level and make them extra flavoursome, you may wish to make this yummy icing recipe while your cookies are baking!
- 3 tsp of fresh grated ginger root.
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice.
- 4 tbsp of Coconut Oil.
- 3 tsp of organic raw honey or rice malt syrup.
- Put all of the ingredients into a small saucepan and heat on low.
- Stir all of the ingredients through until everything has melted and combined.
- Whisk or beat the icing immediately until it becomes smooth and begins to thicken and resemble a caramel.
- If you would like your icing to have a bit more of a ginger kick, add a little more ginger to the mixture. Put the mixture into a piping bag and decorate your cookies as desired!
Fun Facts about Ginger Ginger is an aromatic spice that comes from the Zingiberaceae family which is the same plant family as the spices turmeric and cardamom. Ginger has been utilised for over 5000 years medicinally and possesses many therapeutic actions including acting as an anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-emetic, peripheral circulatory stimulant and gastrointestinal tonic and the scientific evidence to support its use therapeutically is growing!
Ginger can be consumed in many different forms including fresh, dried, pickled, crystallized, candied, powdered and ground.
Serving Size: Makes approximately 10 cookies