This great little fruit and vege wash is quick and easy to make and will help to wash all the nasties off your produce including pesticides, chemicals, excess dirt and bugs. If you can’t afford to buy organic produce, this is a cheap way to minimise your pesticide and chemical exposure! This recipe is best used for fruit and veges that you plan to eat with the skin on; such as apples, pears, berries, tomatoes, capsicums, cucumber, zucchini, eggplant, carrot, potatoes.
You can also wash your greens (spinach, kale, lettuce) with this method too.
- 1 large mixing bowl
- Paper towels
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar per 1 cup of water
- Fill mixing bowl with water and the apple cider vinegar and leave enough room for your produce to soak.
- Scrub any excess dirt off fruit and veges with scrubbing brush if necessary.
- Add fruit and veges to the bowl and allow to soak for 5-10 mins, ensuring your produce is completely covered with wash mixture.
- Rinse thoroughly with water.
- Allow to completely dry on a paper towel, before placing in fridge.
Handy Tip! Only wash fruit and vegetables that you plan to consume within two days of washing.