Coconut Oil Uses
Author: Amber Houghton Date Posted:24 April 2014
How to use coconut oil in your daily diet
Coconut oil is a highly versatile oil made from the kernel of mature coconuts. It’s becoming increasing popular as an alternative to other cooking oils and butters for two main reasons: Firstly, although high in saturated fats, it is composed mainly of medium-chain saturated fatty acids, which are considered to be easy to digest and turn into energy.
Secondly, it is extremely stable which means it can safely handle a smoking temperature that is higher than most polyunsaturated or monounsaturated oils. When choosing a coconut oil, note that a refined oil, while cheaper, will not normally have a coconut taste. The unrefined oils will have a mild to intense coconut taste that will make you want to eat it by the spoonful!
Here are our 8 favourite coconut oil uses:
- Try using coconut oil instead of butter on your toast.
- Add a spoonful to coffee (then blend) for a delicious alternative to milk and sugar.
- Add a tablespoon of coconut oil when you make your favourite smoothie recipe for an extra energy boost.
- Make raw organic chocolate fudge using coconut oil, raw powdered cacao, vanilla bean, a pinch of salt and honey to sweeten.
- When frying eggs use coconut oil to create a non stick surface by using it to lightly coating the bottom of your skillet.
- Try a healthier twist on oven chips by rubbing the skins of potatoes or sweet potatoes with coconut oil before you roast them. You can use coconut oil for other roasted vegetable too such as butternut pumpkin, cauliflower and carrots.
- Add a dollop of coconut oil to your morning porridge and it will never taste bland again.
- Instead of butter popcorn, put some coconut oil in a small bottle with a little spout and drizzle it on warm air popped popcorn for a flavoursome treat.
And its uses are not only in the kitchen - fans use it as a toothpaste, deodorant, oil pulling mouth wash and face and body moisturiser. But before you get carried away why not try one of the delicious ways to cook with coconut oil today and you will soon understand what all the hype is about.
|Written by Amber Houghton|
Amber holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Naturopathy, and has a particular passion for nutritious, whole-food eating. She feels education surrounding the best dietary and lifestyle choices are fundamental in allowing people to take responsibility for their own health, and to help with the maintenance of their well-being.
Although passionate about wholesome food, Amber does confess to having a particular fondness for cake, and enjoys a slice every now and then.