How to improve communication in your relationship
Without communication, there is no relationship.
There are billions of people on the planet, and yet we're all different. Nobody can know what you're thinking unless you talk about it, and this includes romantic partners. Without communication, there is no relationship. Consider the following simple behaviors to make your relationship a happier one:
1. Give and take criticism A partner needs to know when he or she is doing something you don't like. Glossing over mistakes or issues tends to make a person think they can do no wrong. Don't be afraid to offer some constructive criticism, as well as receive some in return.
2. Be a good listener It is not uncommon for people to ignore what a partner says and make suggestions without truly considering the conversation. Turn off distractions like the radio and television, and really listen to what your partner has to say.
3. Quit the white lies Those little lies add up over time and create an aura of distrust and doubt. A lie might seem like it doesn't matter, but keeping up with lies creates unnecessary stress. Remember that the less you lie, the less you have to remember!
4. Don't be afraid to argue Reaching an agreement might require raised voices and passionate arguments. As long as a couple doesn't come to blows, a heated argument may be a healthy way to release stress and energy.
5. Go to bed angry Those advice columns that suggest you need to air everything out before you go to bed aren't always right. Sometimes a good night's rest will offer clarity on a topic that needs to be discussed, but which would benefit from cooler heads. Don't be afraid to hit the pillow angry as long as you're prepared to discuss the issue in the morning.