It’s the Month of Easter and naturally, nostalgically, our mind goes to Chocolate. And it needn’t be a guilty pleasure when using raw, unprocessed Cacao and teaming it up with super-nutritious foods like hazelnuts, coconut and avocado – you’re nourishing both your body and soul!
This naturally sweetened, gluten-free, moist and decadent cake will make the perfect Easter dessert.
Hazelnut Cacao Cake with Fudge Frosting
- 2 ½ Cups Hazelnut Meal (You can substitute with Almond Meal)
- ½ Cup sifted Cacao (or Cocoa)
- ½ teaspoon Bicarb Soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 3 Large Eggs
- ½ Cup Coconut Milk (or cow’s milk)
- ½ Cup Coconut Oil (or light Olive Oil)
- ½ Cup Honey or Maple Syrup
- Preheat oven to 160C. Line a 20cm spring-form baking tin with baking paper.
- Lightly whisk hazelnut meal, cacao, baking powder and baking soda into a bowl.
- Add eggs, olive oil, milk, and honey.
- Whisk to form a smooth batter. Pour into prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 50-55min or until just cooked through (Sticking a skewer to test – a few crumbs sticking to the skewer will be fine and add to the fudge-like texture of the cake)
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- 1/4 cup Honey or Maple Syrup
- 1 large Ripe Avocado, chopped
- ¼ cup raw Cacao (or Cocoa), sifted
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground sea salt
- In the bowl of a food processor or blender, place the avocado, honey, and vanilla extract, and pulse until well blended. Add in the Cacao and the sea salt and blend again until completely blended and creamy.
- Spread onto cooled Cake.
This Recipe was adapted from Teresa Cutter at the Healthy Chef