When it comes to a getting a restful night’s sleep we don’t think of decorating our bedrooms with some new folia. However, adding in a couple of select indoor plants could help you to be drifting off to dreamland in no time at all. Here are our top 8 plants to help you sleep better:
Well-known for its calming and sleep inducing effects, lavender is the perfect indoor plant for the bedroom. One study discovered the scent of the plant soothed crying babies and helped them sleep better. It also looks pretty sitting on your beside table.
Care: Lots of direct sunlight and good drainage.
With a beautiful scent that helps promote relaxation, jasmine will have you feeling calm and sleepy and dreaming of springtime.
Care: Keep in a warm spot with full sun exposure.
3. Bamboo Palm (Reed Palm)
This plant is great at purifying the air, even receiving a high purifying score of 8.4 in the NASA Clean Air Study*. It helps reduce chemicals that can cause respiratory problems, allowing you to breathe better and therefore sleep better.
Care: Keep the soil moist but not wet and keep in indirect sunlight.
4. Peace Lilly
This one is a favourite for purifying the air and also rated highly in NASA’s study. It looks nice, helps filter out harmful toxins, and supports the respiratory system by increasing humidity within the room, all of which aids in restful sleep.
Care: A shady position and weekly watering.
Care: Lots of direct sunlight and water weekly.
6. Aloe vera
Used widely for its healing properties, aloe vera is also very effective at filtering toxins. It gives off more oxygen at night which also helps you breathe better and sleep better.
Care: Needs some sun and doesn’t require frequent watering.
7. Snake plant
Another one in the top 10 on NASA’s list for filtering toxins in the air. It absorbs carbon dioxide whilst simultaneously releasing oxygen during the night –a perfect environment for a deep sleep.
Care: Very low maintenance, doesn’t need much water or light.
8. Gerbera Daisy
This brightly coloured flower not only adds some colour to your room but can also help you achieve more restful sleep. This one also releases oxygen at night to help you breathe better and sleep better.
Care: Needs light all day, but not too much heat. Water a couple of times a week. Prone to fungal diseases.
By simply adding in a couple of plants to your bedroom you can reduce toxins in the air, increase oxygen, inhale some sweet scents and slip into a deep, restful sleep.
So what are you waiting for? Head to your local nursery today!!!
*In the late 80’s NASA was looking for ways to help detoxify the air in its space stations. It conducted a study to determine which plants were most effective at filtering the air of toxins and converting carbon dioxide to oxygen. They released their results in 1989 and gave a definitive list of indoor plants most effective at cleaning and purifying the air. Some of the airborne toxins include trichloroethylene, formaldehyde, benzene, xylene, and ammonia.
NASA recommends keeping between 15 to 18 air purifying plants in an 1800 sq. ft house, with only a few of them in each bedroom.
- Chien, L-W. Cheng S.L. Liu C.F. 2011. The Effect of Lavender Aromatherapy on Autonomic Nervous System in Midlife Women with Insomnia. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2012; 2012: 740813
- Johannes L. 2010. A Scent to Lull You to Sleep. The Wall Street Journal Aug 24 2010. Viewed 27/04/18. https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703846604575447591695802182
- Karadag E, Samancioglu S, Ozden D, Bakir E. (2017). Effects of aromatherapy on sleep quality and anxiety of patients. Nurs Crit Care. 2017 Mar;22(2):105-112. doi: 10.1111/nicc.12198.
- Faydalı S, Çetinkaya F. (2018). The effect of aromatherapy on sleep quality of elderly people residing in a nursing home. Holist Nurs Pract. 2018 Jan/Feb;32(1):8-16. doi: 10.1097/HNP.0000000000000244.
- Wright C. 2018. Top 7 Houseplants for Clean Air and a Restful Sleep. The Art of Healing. Viewed 27/4/18. http://www.theartofhealing.com.au/news_top_7_houseplants.html
- Leonard J. 2015. 12 Plants for Your Bedroom to Help You Sleep. Natural Living Ideas Jul 2 2015. Viewed 27/4/18. http://www.naturallivingideas.com/12-plants-for-your-bedroom-to-help-you-sleep/