Vegetarian Winter Chilli Recipe
Author: Amber Houghton Date Posted:21 May 2014
Eat healthily this winter with our vegetarian winter chilli recipe:
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 green capsicum, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 half to 1 tablespoon chilli powder (depending on your spice tolerance!)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Sea salt and black pepper ( to season)
- 800g canned diced tomatoes, including the liquid
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 400ml vegetable stock
- Sautee the chopped onion, capsicums, sweet potatoes and garlic in your choice of oil, butter or ghee, stirring to cook evenly.
- Once the onions start turning translucent, turn the heat down to medium-low. Add the stock, all of the spices and canned ingredients, and stir. Cover and cook for up to two hours, stirring occasionally.
- By the time your chilli is done, the sweet potatoes should be nice and soft and the liquid should have reduced a little, producing that beautiful chilli consistency.
- Serve - garnish with natural yoghurt or sour cream and serve with your choice of rice or bread.
Makes four to six servings.
|Written by Amber Houghton|
Amber holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Naturopathy, and has a particular passion for nutritious, whole-food eating. She feels education surrounding the best dietary and lifestyle choices are fundamental in allowing people to take responsibility for their own health, and to help with the maintenance of their well-being.
Although passionate about wholesome food, Amber does confess to having a particular fondness for cake, and enjoys a slice every now and then.