Natural Medicine Week – 20-27 May 2016
Author: Corinne Bett Date Posted:23 May 2016
It’s Natural Medicine week, which gives us an opportunity to take a look at what exactly Natural Medicine is, and how the various therapies in the natural health industry can help in maintaining our optimal health and wellbeing.
We've made a handy little summary for you detailing a few of the most common natural therapies used in Australia and how they might help you become the healthiest and well-est version of you.
What is Natural Medicine?
Natural Medicine is a broad term which encompasses many therapies which may be used on their own or in addition to, or integrated with traditional orthodox medicine. Natural Medicine is often derived from therapies which have been used traditionally, with success, for thousands of years in various cultures such as Traditional Chinese Medicine.
Natural medicine also:
- Is Holistic – it considers the whole person when treating health issues, including how their body systems interrelate and how their mental and emotional state also affect their health.
- Treats the cause – Natural Medicine aims to identify and treat the source of a health issue, rather than just providing symptomatic relief. A Natural medicine practitioner will also consider the lifestyle and diet of an individual to see if these are an underlying cause of ill health.
- Empowers and Educates – the individual to take control and maintain their own optimal level of health.
What is it?
Naturopathy is a holistic therapy, which treats the whole person using a range of natural treatments including nutritional and dietary advice, herbal medicine, nutritional supplements and body work. The underlying philosophy of Naturopathy is the belief that addressing the causative factors behind disease, restoring equilibrium in the body and giving it the right support, the body is able to heal itself.
How can Naturopathy help me?
- Naturopaths include a great deal of focus on maintaining optimal gut / digestive and immune health, which they believe supports all the other body systems.
- Naturopaths can treat both acute and chronic conditions including gastrointestinal and digestive issues, hormonal imbalances, menstrual irregularities, infertility and menopause, allergies and skin conditions, anxiety and mood issues, respiratory conditions, cold and flu, plus much more.
What is it?
Acupuncture is a part of Traditional Chinese Medicine, and has been used for at least 2000 years. An Acupuncturist uses thin solid needles inserted in the body at specific points to release any blocks and allow the vital energy or Qi of the body to circulate, which prevents disharmony and imbalance which may lead to disease or illness.
How can Acupuncture help me?
- Pain relief
- Treats a wide range of acute and chronic ailments including muscular issues, digestive issues, menstrual issues, skin conditions, infertility and many more.
What is it?
Remedial Massage is a type of manual therapy which involves the manipulation of the soft tissue of the body including the muscles, tendons, ligaments and connective tissue to assist in rehabilitation, pain and injury management. Remedial Massage therapists use their hands, forearms and elbows to manipulate this soft tissue.
How can Remedial Massage help me?
- Balance muscular and soft tissue length and tension, which may promote the return to normal joint function, and reduce pain.
- Increase the flow of blood and lymphatic fluid to injured areas, which can reduce scar tissue and adhesions resulting from injury.
What is it?
Chiropractic is a type of manual therapy, focussed on the musculoskeletal system, primarily the spine and pelvis, and how their balance effect the nervous system and in turn the function of the rest of the body and the organs. Chiropractors use various spinal manipulation techniques to restore balance to the spine and pelvis, and may also dispense exercise, nutrition and lifestyle advice.
How can Chiropractic help me?
- Balance and aligns the spinal cord, which if misaligned, can impair the nervous system pathways located in the spinal cord.
- Improve the function of various tissues and organs throughout the body, relying on the balance of the nervous system in the spinal column for function.
Some other Natural Therapies available in Australia you might like to look into include:
- Bowen Therapy.
- Traditional Chinese Herbal Medicine.
- Herbal Medicine.
- Clinical Hypnotherapy and Hypnosis.
- Lymphatic drainage.
- Myofascial release.
- Sports Massage.
- Traditional Thai Massage.