5 Sports That Are Easy to Participate in Without Being an Expert
Author: Jillian Foster
You don’t have to be a professional athlete to keep yourself fit and healthy.
Want to get into sport but not sure where to start? While fitness does naturally decline as we age, it doesn’t mean you’re now destined for the couch. You also don’t need to be a professional athlete to keep yourself fit and healthy. Maintaining your health and fitness can reduce the risk of a whole range of conditions including keeping you at a healthy weight.
Here are 5 sports that are easy to participate in, without being an expert.
- Swimming is a healthy activity you can do at any age and at any pace. It is low impact meaning it won’t put pressure on your joints, however it still keeps your heart rate up, builds endurance and provides an all over body workout. In addition to the fitness benefits, swimming improves coordination, flexibility and balance, it helps strengthen your lungs due to breathing adjustments in water and it is a great way to alleviate stress.1
- Tennis is a great way to socialise and get fit at the same time. Suitable for all ages and skill levels, tennis can really give you an aerobic workout. It improves metabolic function, increases bone density and improves muscle tone, strength, coordination and flexibility.3 You will need a partner to play tennis, so gather up your friends or join a local tennis club and make some new ones.
- Cycling is another low impact exercise and will cause less strain and injury than other forms of exercise. Regular cycling is great for strength and stamina, a great muscle workout and can improve joint mobility. There are also specific health issues that cycling has shown benefit for, these affect the cardiovascular system, metabolic processes and joint health.2 You can join a cycling group, use your bike for transport or jump on a stationary bike and still get all the benefits.
- Squash is an indoor game that can be modified to suit every size and skill level. As a fast moving sport you are sure to get a great cardiovascular workout. It will quickly increase your strength and fitness, promote good hand-eye coordination and increase flexibility and agility. Squash can be played all year round in any weather condition. It’s a great way to release stress and meet new people.4
- Dancing is a great way to stay fit at any age. Not only will it give you a cardio workout but will improve your balance and coordination, increase muscle strength and endurance5 and can even help improve memory.6 There’s a type of dance to suit everyone’s needs, plus you will have lots of fun along the way.
|Written by Jillian Foster|
Jillian (BHSc Naturopathy) is a qualified naturopath who believes through a healthy and balanced diet and lifestyle, we have the power to influence our health and the health of future generations. With a passion for herbal medicine, Jillian loves helping people find the right solution for their health needs and educating people on how they can lead a healthy and happy life.
Jillian enjoys keeping active with her two young children and baking them delicious and healthy treats.